If a picture is worth a 1000 words…
have a look at your Iceland novel!
Iceland Key Points
Harpa Concert Hall
Thingvellir National Park
Geysir bubble about to burst
Solfataras of Namskard
We”ll be traveling to the remote and much less crowded Highlands, the most volcanic part of Iceland. This is not your routine Iceland trip and we’ve got an iteanrry packed with the very best locations. Malcolm Kahn will be your photo guide. His landscapes are award winning and can be seen on his web site: malcolmkahn.com We’ve also engaged an expert local guide who knows all the secret places and best photo ops. Here’s the itinerary:
Day 1 & 2- August 24th & 25th, 2018 (Reykjavik & Thingvellir National Park)
We’ll depart from Newark Airport at at 8:45 p.m. for Keflavik, Iceland and arrive at 6:15 a.m., August 25th. Hopefully, we’ll get some sleep on the way.
Our guid will pick us up at the airport and drive us to Reykjavik where we’ll have breakfast. We will then have a short outing to Harpa Concert Hall and the Hallgrimskirkja Church, before driving to Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Hallgrimskirkja ChurchThingvellir National Park: Thingvellir ls located in the dramatic rift valley where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates pull apart. This is clearly visible at the great Almannagia Gorge.
- In the afternoon, we’ll visit the Geysir Hot Spring area where we’ll also spend our first night in Iceland.
- On our way to West Iceland we’ll stop at some Ice Caves (ice melt dependent) and Lava Tubes and the Snaellsness Peninsula
Day 3 – August 26th, 2018 (Gillfoss)
- Well do some early morning photography in the Geysir area (before other tourists arrive) we’ll drive to Gullfoss and the golden Waterfalls, which are one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Iceland.
- We’ll then take the Kjolur Highland track to Kerlingarfjoll Mountains which is one of Iceland’s greatest geothermal areas. The contrast of snow and ice with the hot springs beautifully paints in a colorful red landscape.
- We’ll spend the night in a mountain hotel.
Day 4 – August 27th, 2018 (Kerlingarfjoll, Hveravellir, Akureyri, Myvatn)
- Continuing on the Kjolur Highland track northwards to Hveravellir where one of Iceland’s finest hot springs zone is to be found. From Hveravellir we’ll drive north to Skagafjordur ant then east towards Akureyri and the region of Lake Myvatn, stopping to visit and photograph the grandeur of Godafoss Waterfall.
- We’ll spend night in a hotel near lake Myvatn.
Day 5 – August 28th, 2018 (Myvatn to Northeast Iceland, 1 to 2 hours of driving time)
- We’ll spend the day in the area of Lake Myvatn, the Hverfjall crater, lava formations at Dimmuborgir, Krafla Volcano and the Solfataras of Namaskard geothermal area. The Krafla area has had nine different eruptions from 1975 – 1984 and lava is still warm in some places, emitting steam creating an other wordly atmosphere.
- The second night is booked for a hotel near Lake Myvatn.
Day 6, August 29th, 2018 (Myvatn, Sprengisandur and Hrauneylar)
- Sprengisandur is a very desolate and black desert that we’ll cross over on our way to the highland center of Hrauneyiar. On our way we’ll see Aldeyiarfoss which some say is the most beautiful waterfall in Iceland.
- We’ll also have some stunning views of glaciers like Hofsjokull and Vatnajokull as well as volcanoes like Herdubreid and Askja.
- We’ll spend the night in a Highland Center of Hrauneyiar.
Day 7, August 30th, 2018 (Hrauneyjar, Landmannalaugar, Fjallabak, Hrifunes)
- After a one hour drive we’ll arrive in Landmannalaugar which features the largest geothermal field in Iceland. It’s sculptured peaks are made of rhyolite causing amazing colorization of the surrounding mountains.
- After spending the morning in Landmannalaugar we’ll take the Fjallabak mountain track that will lead us to Eldgia – the Fissure of Fire
- We’ll spend the night at a family run Guest House in Hrifunes.
Day 8, August 31st, 2018 (Eldhraun, Vatnajokull Glacier, Jokulsarlon)
- We’ll drive down to the main road and head east towards the south side of the great Vatnajokull glacier by driving across the world’s largest lava field, the Eldraun and the hugh flood plains of Skeidararsandur all the way to the Jokulsarlon where we’ll get to spend some time photograhing the incredible glacial lagoon and it’s icebergs.
- In the afternoon we’ll dirve back to the same accommodations in Hrifunes.
Day 9 September 1st, 2018 (Hrifunes, Vik, Reynisfjara, Dyrholaey, Skogarfoss, Seljalandsfoss and Hella)
- After breaffast, we’ll start our photo adventure along the South coast of Iceland where you’ll take in some of Iceland’s most dramatic scenery – on one side, tall mountains with a succession of waterfalls cascading down from the glaciers above while on the other, views of the North Atlantic coastline with its black sand beaches and dramatic headlands.
- Our stops include Seljalandsfoss, a narrow waterfall dropping 60 meters into a shallow pool with space to walk behind it and the breathtaking Skogafoss waterfall.
- We’ll spend the night in a hotel in Hella.
Day 10 September 1st, 2018 (Reykjanes, Peninsular)
- After our last breakfast in Iceland and on the way to the airport we’ll enjoy the Reykjanes peninsular with its spectacular lava landscape, hot springs and sea cliffs.
- We’ll arrive in Keflavik Airport in time to check in for our 5:00 p.m. flight back to the U.S.
- After a 6 hour flight, we’ll land in Newark at 7:00 p.m. local time.
We know, it all sounds exhausting. But we guarantee you’ll be thinking about planning your next trip while on your way home, content that you got some great shots, met some great people and, most importantly, had fun.
NOW FOR THE FINE PRINT…
- You must have a valid passport but a Visa isn’t necessary.
- The actual trip is 9 days/8 nights of incredible photo ops
- Our trip has been planned to coincide with the time of the year that the Highlands are most accessible.
- The price of this photo adventure is $5,495.00 per person based on double occupancy. (Single supplement is $895.00)
- Price includes:
- All breakfasts and dinners
- (Lunch isn’t included but most if not all lunches will be quick meals in small local eating spots taken on the run and won’t be expensive.)
- All gratuities (Except for the $1 millllliiiiooon that Malcolm wants from each participant;-)
- All transportation while in Iceland
- Long, wonderful days of photography. Don’t worry, we will try to give everyone sufficient time to relax too.
- Professional local driver/guide
- AIP Tour Leader and expert photographer to help you each step of the way.
- What is NOT included:
- Round trip transportation from home to airport
- Items of a personal nature
- Anything not specifically mentioned in the “What’s included section”
- All of our hotels will probably have internet connections. However, internet service and cellular phone service, while available, will be spotty in some places with very slow upload and download speeds.
- Cell service will require a local sim chip and cellular plan or an international calling package from your US provider.
Payment schedule and cancellation policy:
- The initial deposit of $1,00.00 is due within 7 days of booking and is nonrefundable unless the trip is cancelled.
- Final payment (balance owed) is due 60 days prior to departure.
- If cancellation is received 60 to 31 days prior to departure, the cancellation fee is 50% of the photo adventure fee.
- It cancellation is received 30 days or less before departure, the cancellation fee is 100% of the photo adventure fee.
- The preferred method of payment is by check which should be mailed to:
- Adventures in Photography, LLC, 14 Tamarack Lane, Pomona, NY 10970
- If payment is made by credit card, a convenience fee of 4% will be added.
Official Adventures in Photography LLC – Cancellation Policy
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY: Cancellations are only effective upon receipt of written notification signed by the participant(s). Written notification should be mailed to Adventures in Photography, LLC’s corporate office located at 14 Tamarack Lane, Pomona, NY 10970. The initial deposit is used to secure your accommodations, transportation and guides and therefore non-refundable, unless the photo adventure is sold out at the time of departure. Adventures in Photography LLC, hereafter AIP, will do their best to resell your spot and/or return as much of your non-refundable deposit as possible. If the final balance has not been received 90 days prior to trip commencement, AIP shall be entitled, at their, discretion, to treat your reservation as cancelled and the deposit shall be forfeited.
We understand that conflicts arise, if you need to cancel your participation in the photo adventure prior to the final payment, all efforts will be made to fill your spot. If AIP fills your spot, a refund of your non-refundable deposit, less a 25% administration fee and less any non-refundable air tickets purchased, will be issued; there are no guarantees but we will do our best.
If cancellation is received 60 to 31 days prior to departure, the cancellation fee is 50% of the photo adventure fee.
It cancellation is received 30 days or less before departure, the cancellation fee is 100% of the photo adventure fee.
In the event you do not join the photo adventure, join it after departure or leave before its completion, no refunds will be made with the exception of any airfare refunds provided by the carrier when applicable.
CANCELLATION OR CHANGE IN photo adventure: AIP will make every attempt to operate a photo adventure once confirmed, but will reserve the right to cancel or change a trip at any time, due to insufficient bookings, and/or reasons beyond its control, such as; strikes, war, acts of God, acts of government, civil unrest or any other cause whatsoever, that may make operation of the tour impossible, illegal or inadvisable. All tour payments received will be promptly refunded, and this refund will be the limit of AIP’s liability. AIP is not responsible for any expenses incurred by tour members in preparing for the tour including non-refundable airline tickets, airline penalties, special clothing, visa or passport fees, or other tour-related expenses.
- AIP highly recommends the purchase of travel insurance to cover these events and expenses.
- If you need a recommendation for an insurance carrier, AIP will provide one on request.
- If you have any questions or require any additional information, you can contact Martin Joffe.
- email@example.com; 201.410.8006
Who hope you choose to join on on this fantastic photo adventure to one of the most unusual and exciting area of Iceland.
Padma Inguva, Malcolm Kahn and Martin Joffe, Your AIP Organizers